Making Sense of School Climate: Using the California School Climate, Health, & Learning Survey (Cal-SCHLS) System to Inform Your School Improvement Efforts (pdf) provides an overview of the eight important dimensions of school climate.
It outlines the items on each of the three Cal-SCHLS surveys (i.e., California Healthy Kids Survey, California School Climate Survey (Staff), and California School Parent Survey) that assess each school climate dimension, and is intended for use as a companion reference guide to the School Climate Workbook.
Eight Dimensions of School Climate
- Student learning environment
- Motivation & connectedness
- Developmental supports & opportunities
- Respect for diversity, instructional equity & cultural sensitivity
- Student safety & problem behaviors
- Organizational supports
- Physical environment & wellness
- Staff working environment